Pages

Friday 9 April 2010

INTERVIEW: Mr. Oh | Author of Little Black Book


Short. Sharp. Facts!

Name: Mr. Oh
Birthplace: Leytonstone, East London
Lives
: Undisclosed location

Poetry Deb
ut: Poetry debut in 1999 at Soul Food.
Awards/Achievements: Read one of his books on MTV Base in 2001

ONiT! caught up with Mr. Oh over the phone, whilst he took a bath!


Q&A

ONiT! is excited to see that you're on the line up for Love…Sex…Sensuality…, the forthcoming celebration of all things sensual. We’d love to hear your answers on the following:


Can you tell us how you got involved in this exciting new show?
I released ‘Little Black Book’ recently and the Promoter for
Love…Sex…Sensuality… attended the launch. He said he really enjoyed the performance of a poem entitled I hate you, which was re-enacted from the book. He asked if I’d be interested in recreating the enactment at LSS and I said yeah!


How long have you been writing?
For about 12 years now. The stories for Little Black Book, were written between ‘98-‘01



Are they based on personal experiences?
No, I wasn’t active in that sense at that age. They’re based on fiction; stories that arose from my imagination, whilst listening to old skool tunes – Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder. The first things that came to mind, I wrote about, some of which will be coming out in
Little Black Book 2 and 3.


When are you planning on releasing Little Black Book 2?
June or July 2010, with the 3rd in October, in time for Black History Month.



Who would you cite as your influences?

I’m a sponge ki
nd of person, so many things influence me. Dennis Rodman, for his individuality, Eric Jerome Dickey, because many of his stories can be flipped, i.e. set in Stratford or wherever. UK people can relate. Reading his work makes you question what you like.


What is your favourite Eric Jerome Dickey story?
Genevie was a good one, Milk in my Coffee too, but Cheaters was the best one for me. I read it on my way back from the US and it made me realise ‘I can write!’, it was such a good story, but to put in the London community, that I live in, that people I know live in, and to show a UK audience what’s possible and show US audiences that we can do this too, is really relevant to me.



How would you describe your style as a Writer?

Engagingly rela
tive. I really love to write. I’m glad that it’s getting the response that I like. Even when there are moments that I don’t feel that I can.


If you
could collaborate with another Artist/Writer, who would it be and why?
There’s an East London Writer, Lexy Harper, who also writes erotica, I’d like to collaborate with her. She writes really, really well – very sexy.


What do your Parents think of Little Black Book, and your writing in general?
My Dad doesn’t really know – he’s old skool Nigerian. The other novels that I wrote under my other name, he was really happy with, but I haven’t really told him about LBB. My Mum though, she knows about it. I had to look her in the
eye and explain this is THE book… she asked “What’s it about?” I explained that it’s erm… about people having sex in London. Her face said “Hmmm, my Son is a pervert!” [heavy Nigerian accent] but she didn’t say that. She actually asked me for a copy the other day.


Did you give her a copy?
I changed the subject! (laughs)



In order to fully love and appreciate the love of another, we know that you must first love yourself. How would you define self-love? Knowing that you’re important enough to do the things that you want to do. For me, it took me a while to be confident enough to put out these types of stories and have the response… someone called me the Piped Piper of Pussy the other day… (laughs). I’ve been getting emails from people telling me that they’ve had to take a break from the stories, to get better acquainted with themselves! That’s the response I was looking for, so I’m happy. A lady told me she read it, and the following weekend, she threw her boyfriend down in a different kinda way! Let's just say she was inspired!


Are any subjects taboo to you in your writing?
No.In LBB 2, I plan to get interacial and homosexual...


What advice would you give to a wannabe Writer?
Life is too sh
ort to not do it! If you sit and watch, and think ‘I could do that’, you’ll loose the drive to want to do it eventually, unless you act on it.


What can the audience expect from you on the night?

Hmmm… smooth poetry, inspired by the Little Black Book.


Is there a particular piece you are looking forward to performing at Love…Sex…Sensuality…?
Yes, I am going to do a special performance/interpretation of my story entitled ‘I Hate You’.


What poem/film/song says 'Love...Sex...Sensuality…' to you?


Book: The Little Black Book
Song: Com
e live with me Angel by Marvin Gaye
Film: Romeo & Juliet - the remake with Leonardo di Caprio, it’s such a sexy film.



Complete these sentences:

Love is...you and me.
Sex is...what you want it to be.
Sensuality is...
knowing how to make it right.


What other performances/projects do you have coming up?

Little Black Book 2 and 3 later this year plus a UK Tour with LBB too.



Where can we purchase a copy of Little Black Book?
Amazon
Play.com
WHSmith

Waterstones

Also coming soon to:
CD Bar - Stratford, London
Kin Books – Stratford, London.



Anything else you'd like to let the masses know?
Yes! Little Black Book; open your eyes, minds and thighs!



You can see and hear Mr. Oh perform live, at Love…Sex…Sensuality… on Saturday 24th April.


Tickets: Limited early bird tickets available now at the following outlets, priced £10









Online
: http://www.accessuktickets.co.uk


Supertone Records (Brixton) 020 7737 7761 | Everybody’s Music (Tottenham) 020 8802 0146 | Maestro Records (Peckham) 020 7635 7299 | Dub Vendor (Clapham) 020 7233 3757 | Hawkeye Records (Harlesden) 020 8961 0866

Further info: 07984 628 070

Press/Media info: 07790 443 834 | 07958 327 811 | onitpr@yahoo.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment